Turkish 101-104 (Beginner to Elementary)
Completing first two semesters, students will be able to:
• understand and use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases.
• introduce themselves and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
• interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
• explain their daily routine and ask questions daily activities
Turkish 103, 104
Completing the last two/three semesters, students will be able to:
• understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance. E.g.: basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment and some health problems
• communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
• describe in simple terms aspects of their background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need and give directions
• express their experiences in the past
Turkish 201-205 (Elementary to Intermediate)
This level consist of 5 semesters.
Completing these semesters, students will be able to:
• understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
• deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
• produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest.
• describe experiences and events, facts, talk about future plans
• be more comfortable about asking requests and give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
• use simple present tense, future tense and past tenses, and some model verbs confidently
Turkish 301-306 (Intermediate to Upper Intermediate)
Full Intermediate level consist of 6 semesters.
Completing full intermediate level, students will be able to:
• understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
• interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without pressure.
• produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options. E.g.: Renting, buying an products, job applications, discussing about news
• read authentic texts and be able to summarize it in their own words.
Turkish 401-406 (Upper Int./Advance)
Full Upp-Int./Advance level consist of 6 semesters.
Completing full Upper-int level, student will be able to:
• understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognize implicit meaning.
• express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
• use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
• produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
We offer Translation, Book and Conversation clubs.
At this moment both of our clubs are only offered to Intermediate level students and above.
We read classic and contemporary Turkish books, stories, poems and discuss the plot, characters, history, sociological and philosophical aspects of the books in Turkish. We also analyze the books' grammatical structure and go over the language.
In each class, we discuss about one topic that was determined in the syllabus. We discuss about the recent events/news in Turkey and each student do a little presentation about the topic given. We support the lessons with idioms, proverbs and daily expressions in addition to covering some advance grammatical forms that students have difficulty with.
Each class we study on authentic materials and translate them into English. We also analyze the grammatical structure of the texts.